Wednesday, October 22, 2008

random blog assignment

I'll start off by saying that I am a news junkie. I'm pretty much obsessed with cnn.com and clickondetroit.com. I feel the need to check cnn.com in the morning, sometimes even before I check Facebook, which is saying a lot. Although I do read the main stories, I always make sure to check the “weird news” section at clickondetroit.com right away. It always entertains me and either gives me a laugh, or makes me feel better about myself to see how stupid some people are. I recently got made fun of for reading an article about a man who ate a 15 pound burger in 4 hours. Useless information? I think so.


I really get into some of the stories I follow. A recent one, that has actually been going on for about three months, is the Caylee Anthony case. Now this really pisses me off. For those that are not familiar with the story, I’ll sum it up. Casey is the mother of 3 year old Caylee. One day in July, she randomly confesses that her little girl Caylee has been missing for a month. A MONTH. It took her a month to tell police that her daughter is missing. Obviously this is suspicious. Most parents would be freaking out, but she was not concerned. There are photos of her at clubs doing “hot body contests” just 2 days after Caylee went missing. After she told the police about her missing daughter, she obviously got questioned a lot. All of her stories conflicted, and apparently she has a past of being a pathological liar. To make a long story short, she has been in and out of jail, because the cops have reason to believe that there was a body in the trunk of her car. As of now I’m pretty sure she’s back in jail and they finally have enough to attempt to convict her. I know that there is a legal process that must be followed, but it’s frustrating because it’s so obvious that she killed her daughter, and it sickens me. There are so many other things that she could have done if she did not want her daughter. What actually makes someone murder their child? I know it’s disturbing to think about, but watching too much Nancy Grace makes me think about these things. If you don’t know who Nancy Grace is, she’s a crazy blonde lawyer who has a show on one of the news channels. She can be pretty obnoxious but it’s great.


Another story that I recently heard that irritates me is about how at Western Carolina University, someone wrapped a dead bear cub in Obama signs and put it on campus. What the heck? I guess my point about this story is that I admire people who feel strongly about their political beliefs, but instead of committing a violent act, why not try to change people’s minds by educating them about why you believe your belief is correct? Doing something absurd like these people did at Western Carolina University is not going to change anyone’s mind about who they plan to vote for. I know that the issue of who our next president will be is an important one, but I cannot wait until after November 4th.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally the opposite. I don't know about anything in the news unless its on the 5 o'clock TV news ... I am forced to watch it because of my mother. I might just have to check out the weird news stories from now on!

Vanessa said...

lately i find myself checking out the wierd news on my phone. sometimes they're quite funny and others their distrubing like the ones you mentioned.

Denise said...

i have actually only followed the caylee story becasue of nancy grace. everytime i turn that channel on, nancy is talking about it! i totally agree with you about the mother. seriously, what kind of mother is she?! it is truely a sad, sad story...

Unknown said...

Good observations!