Monday, September 22, 2008

Project #1

For my project, I plan to do a 6 slide power point presentation. The topic I chose is simply how every day plastic products are used too much and how they harm the environment, but also how I have noticed an increase in people trying to cut down on their usage. I chose this topic because where I work, when we receive boxes from shipping with items to sell, I always notice how unbreakable items are wrapped in ridiculous amounts of plastic.

After I became more aware of how most plastic bags are not biodegradable, at work I began asking every customer if they wanted or needed a bag instead of just giving it to them. I was surprised at the amount of people who say no, when normally they would have taken one if I had just given it to them. Pictures that I plan on using will include stacks of plastic bags, and small items wrapped in large amounts of plastic.

I plan on explaining in the power point how I noticed how people use too much plastic, but also how I have been noticing more people carrying large tote bags when they shop so they do not have to use plastic bags, so I may include a picture of someone using a tote bag. I chose this topic because I never really thought there was an effort-less way for me to help this problem, but now I see that I can in very simple and easy ways.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great topic! Maybe you can do a little research about alternative packaging and provide a few examples. Talk to me about this after/before class on Thurs. --AM Yerks

Anonymous said...

I like this topic! Where do you work? I've noticed a lot of those shopping tote bags and I think we might be selling them at the store where I work :)

Colin LaVine said...

I am doing a very similar project. My project regards the difference between recycling water bottles and simply throwing them away. I am excited to see your project and how it could relate to the recycling realm.

Nimrit Sohal said...

This is a good topic! My topic is also similar to yours, I'm going to present on recycling in general and how it effects our community and water.

Vanessa said...

this is a good topic. it seems like lately everyone is up for the go green idea. i think its good taht we cut down on our use of plastic.